To obtain your Minibus PCV Category D1 Licence

1. Applying for a Provisional Licence:

The first step is to complete DVLA form D2, this is the application form for a provisional category D1 photo card driving licence entitlement.

Next you need to book a PCV medical examination with a doctor.

The doctor will need to complete DVLA form D4. You should then send off both parts of your category B (car) licence, D2 and D4 forms to the DVLA in Swansea.

DVLA forms D2 and D4 are available from your local DVLA office


2. Booking Your Theory Test

When you have received your PCV provisional driving licence back from the DVLA you are then able to book your theory test.

Theory tests can be booked via the internet at or by telephoning the booking centre on 0300 200 1122.

3. PCV Theory Test (Driver CPC Module 1):

Before being able to take your practical test, you will need to pass the PCV theory test. The Driver CPC Module 1 theory test is divided into two separate parts; the Multiple Choice Test (100 questions) £35.00 and the Hazard Perception Test (19 interactive clips) £15.00.


Pre 1 January 1997

If you obtained your licence before January 1997 you should have category D1 on the back of your driving licence, followed by 101. This is a restriction code that will not allow you to drive for hire or reward. You will need to take the D1 test to lift the restriction code 101.


Post 1 January 1997

You may require the D1 category on your licence. To you obtain this you must take the D1 test and must have a full Category B licence and be at least 21 years of age.